Thursday, February 23, 2012

Grammar Nazi : Righteousness in Action

I, personally, am such a Grammar Nazi -- sadly, am the kind that also gets corrected a lot. Being corrected by one is not an unusual thing, I believe most, if not ALL of you have been corrected by one -- or is actually one correcting others! It got me thinking: Why is it not considered rude to correct someone of their English, but it's unethical to tell people that they're doing something not pleasing to God?

Okay, so I'm not saying we go out into the streets and call everyone SINFUL. I'm just bringing up the idea that somehow, we Saints have been ingrained with ethnological ethics so much that we've forgotten what Righteous Anger is. God hates the sin but not the SINNER.

We serve a RIGHTEOUS and JUST God, one who CANNOT TOLERATE SIN -- then how come, we, His children, are able to cope with sin SO WELL? It bugs me to realize that I'm actually more annoyed at people who don't know how to use DID + VERBS properly as compared to people swearing out loud. I just have this urge to shout at people who say things like: "What did you saw again?" But when people use vulgar words, I let them slide thinking that it's just a matter of self expression.

As Saints, we often associate being obedient with NOT COMMITTING SINS OURSELVES; We often forget, that we are called to be LIKE CHRIST: INTOLERANT OF SIN.

In the Old Testament, God punished Eli, the High Priest of Shiloh, not because he was wicked, but because his SONS were and HE DID NOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT:
At that time I will carry out against Eli everything I spoke against his family—from beginning to end. For I told him that I would judge his family forever because of the sin he knew about; his sons blasphemed God, and he failed to restrain them. (1 Samuel 3: 12-13)

God does not only want us to be pursuing holiness, He wants us to encourage others too! In Ezekiel 3, the Bible even goes so far as to say:
When I say to a wicked person, ‘You will surely die,’ and you do not warn them or speak out to dissuade them from their evil ways in order to save their life, that wicked person will die for their sin, and I will hold you accountable for their blood. (Ezekiel 3:18)

We are called to be SAINTS, to be ambassadors of His love, and to SHINE for His glory. When a light is lit in a dark room, it dispels the darkness around it -- as Children of God, are we shining? Or are we being too tolerant of the world that we abuse the idea of "Christ loving the sinner?"

Yes, we are called to love, BUT the bible has a clear prescription of WHAT LOVING ENTAILS:
Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. (Romans 12:9)

Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. ( 1 Corinthians 13:6)

The truth hurts, and true friends who love you, are not afraid to hurt you by telling the truth. We are called to LOVE, and loving someone means wanting what's best for them. I don't think allowing them to continue sinning and suffering the wrath of God is something one can do out of love.

When we tolerate sin, it's not God that we're pleasing.

No comments: